How to Get Free SSL Certificate for WordPress Website
What is an SSL Certificate?
Do you know there are two simple methods on How to Get Free SSL Certificate for WordPress Website? Before we dive into how to get that done let`s take a quick look at what SSL is all about.
SSL is a standard security protocol that builds up encoded links between a web server and a web browser.
In this way, guaranteeing all communication that occurs between a web server and browser(s) remains encrypted and thus private. SSL Certificate is today an industry standard that is used by a huge number of sites worldwide to secure communications and data that is transmitted online through the sites that cost so much but we`ve got you covered on How to Get Free SSL Certificate for WordPress Website.
Why Use SSL?
Each website on the Internet ought to be served over HTTPS. Here’s the reason:
- Performance: Modern SSL can really improve page load times.
- Search Ranking Boost: Search engines support HTTPS sites more.
- Security: Encrypting traffic with SSL guarantees nobody can snoop on your clients’ info.
- Trust: By showing a green lock in the address bar of the browser, SSL builds your website visitor`s trust.
- Regulatory Compliance: SSL is a key part of PCI compliance.
Now when you visit your site, if you notice ‘Not secure’ message on your browser at the URL Bar. It means that you do not have an SSL Certificate installed and your site is not secured.
So, in this article, I`m gonna show you How to Get Free SSL Certificate for WordPress Website using Cloudflare Flexible SSL or Really Simple SSL and get a secure message with a lock symbol.
Therefore, by obtaining an SSL, it’ll build your visitors to trust your web site and your content.
Video Tutorial – How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free
If you do not like video tutorials or need a written guide or more detailed instructions on How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free, then keep on reading.
How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free Using Cloudflare Flexible SSL
You can get an SSL Certificate for Free in just 5 steps
At this point, it means you have managed to get your WordPress installed and you happen to be facing any difficulty on Installing and Setting up your Website or blog, do refer to our other articles on WordPress Guide as specified below:
- Step 1: Create a new account on Cloudflare
- Step 2: Add your website to Cloudflare account
- Step 3: Change your Name servers in the domain
- Step 4: The next thing to do is Installing the Cloudflare plugin on your WordPress website. On more details on WordPress Plugin Installation, refer to How to Install WordPress Plugins With Ease.
- Step 5: Enable SSL Certificate
Let’s get started with How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free
Step 1 – Create a New Account on Cloudflare
Create a new account on Cloudflare. Cloudflare is a website, which will give us the free SSL Certificate for free.
- So to get SSL Certificate for free from Cloudflare, keep reading.
- So, just go to www.clouflare.com
- Click Sign up and enter your Email and Password then click Create Account to create a new account.
- Once you’ve created an account on Cloudflare, you can go to the next step.
Step 2 – Add Your Website to Cloudflare Account
- Add your website to the Cloudflare account.
- Cloudflare UI will ask you to add a website so Click Add a Site
- Enter your site root domain name or address without “www” as shown: Don`t use
www.techfreakguide.combut use techfreakguide.com
- Click Add site
- Cloudflare automatically attempts to identify your existing DNS records and verify your DNS records. This DNS records identification process takes approximately 1 minute (60 seconds) to complete.
- Select your service plan from the four available plan (Free, Pro, Business & Enterprise) and we are using the free plan in this case; So select Free plan and click confirm plan button to continue.
Step 3 – Change Your Name Servers in the Domain
Now Cloudflare will provide you with your Name server details. So once you get those details, visit the following process.
Configure the Cloudflare SSL WordPress Plugin feature In this step. You need to change the existing name servers on your domain, with name servers provided from Cloudflare.
- To change your name servers, First, you need to go to your domain provider’s website and login to your account.
- Once you’ve logged into your account. You will find your domain name.
- Now to change the name servers, just click ‘DNS’ and then go to name servers section.
- Now click ‘change’. And select ‘Custom’. And you will find two empty boxes, where you can enter the name servers provided from Cloudflare.
- Once you modify your nameserver in your domain name, you can go to the next step.
Step 4 – Installing and Activating Cloudflare Flexible SSL
Install the Cloudflare plugin on your WordPress site. To install the plugin, simply visit WordPress dashboard and click on ‘plugins’ then click ‘add new’. Now look for ‘Cloudflare Flexible SSL’ and once you got the plugin click ‘install’ then ‘activate’.
Step 5 – Enable SSL Certificate
Enable SSL in Cloudflare. To change SSL, visit the Cloudflare web site and click on the lock icon within the top menu. Now scroll right down to ‘Always use https’ section and so flip it on. Now once you switch it on, your website will be secured with SSL. If your web site, didn’t load properly, simply watch for a couple of minutes and so load it from a totally different device.
How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free Using Really Simple SSL
Really Simple SSL is trusted by over 3+ million WordPress users. Really Simple SSL is the most popular plug-in to configure your WordPress website for SSL Certificate.
Really Simple SSL only requires a valid SSL certificate to move your site to SSL. If you don’t have an SSL certificate yet, we recommend getting a certificate at your hosting provider once your site has a valid SSL certificate you can move your site to SSL with a single click.
The first thing you need to do is install a Really Simple SSL plugin. For more details, see our guide on How to Install WordPress Plugins.
Upon installation and activation, visit the Settings » SSL page. The plugin will automatically perform some checks to test if your site is ready for SSL and detect your SSL Certificate and it would set up your WordPress site to use HTTPs.
You might see a button asking to reload your site over HTTPs. click the button if it appears.
Once the plug-in is activated and the checks have passed, another notice will appear in the WordPress admin area asking you to confirm Activating SSL.
We recommend you to create a backup of your site before clicking this button. When you’re ready, click the Go ahead activate SSL button to move your site to SSL.
The plugin will do three things upon clicking the activation button.
- The site URL (homepage URL) will be changed to HTTPS
- A WordPress 301 redirect to HTTPS will be set
- The mixed content fixer will be activated and the mixed content fixer works by replacing HTTP references on your site to HTTPS; This is done dynamically so no permanent changes are made besides the default settings. You can find the other settings by clicking on the Settings link in the SSL activate notice that appears after clicking the activate SSL button at the top of the admin area or by navigating to Settings » SSL » Settings.
Here you can configure more advanced options like the 301.htaccess redirect; We do recommend to enable the 301.htaccess redirect when possible since it’s the fastest and most reliable redirect option.
In most cases clicking the activate SSL button will give your site the secure lock if you don’t have a secure lock right away try to clear all your caches your website uses.
- How to Build a WordPress Website for Free
- How to Install WordPress Plugin
- How to Install and Configure W3 Total Cache Plugin
- Install and Configure WP Super Cache
- Best WordPress Landing Page Plugins
I hope you found this article on How to Get WordPress SSL Certificate for Free -Beginners Guide quite helpful; This how you can get an SSL Certificate for free from Cloudflare in just a few minutes. If you experience any issues on installing and activation your free WordPress SSL Certificate for your site, leave a comment below and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Do leave us your feedback and also for more updates and tutorials, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.