How to Install WordPress Plugins
After Installing WordPress, the primary factor each beginner has to learn is how to install a WordPress plugin. Plugins enable you to feature or add new options to WordPress like add a gallery, slideshow, etc. There are thousands of free and paid plugins obtainable for WordPress.
In this article, we`re gonna show you the step by step guide on how to install a WordPress plugin.
Things to Keep in Mind Before You Start
If you’re using WordPress.com, then you cannot install plugins.
We often get complaints from users speech communication that they can’t see the plugins menu in their WordPress dashboard. It is because you are using WordPress.com, which has its limitations.
Installing plugins on WordPress.com isn`t enabled or allowed unless you upgrade your WordPress.Com plan to their business plan. On the other hand, you can install any plugin you want on your self-hosted WordPress.org website right out of the box (See The Differences Between Self-Hosted WordPress.org vs WordPress.com).
How to Install WordPress Plugins
To make it simple, we have created a detailed tutorial or step by step guide for beginners below on how to install a WordPress plugin.
3 Methods of Installing WordPress Plugins
- Installing a WordPress plugin using search from WordPress.Org Directory within the Admin Dashboard
- Uploading a WordPress plugin within the Admin Dashboard
- And how to install WordPress plugins via FTP.
Method 1: How to Install a WordPress Plugin Using Search
The easiest method of installing a WordPress plugin is to use the plugin search. The only draw-back of this feature is that a plugin must be within the WordPress plugin directory that is restricted to only free plugins.
- Go to your WordPress Dashboard or Admin area
- Hover on Plugins » Click Add New.
- You will see a screen just like the one within the screenshot above. Find the plugin by typing the plugin name that you’re searching for,
a s wedid in the image above. After that, you will see a bunch of listings like the example above:
- You can choose the plugin that’s best for you. But in this tutorial or step by step guide, for our search we`re looking for Table of Contents and came up first in the plugin search, now we`ll click the ‘Install Now’ button.
- WordPress will now download and install the plugin for you. After this, you’ll see the success message with a link to activate the plugin or come back to plugin installer.
- A WordPress plugin will be installed on your website, but it will not work unless you activate it. So move and click on on the activate plugin link to activate the plugin on your WordPress website.
- Now, you`re good to go coz you`ve successfully installed your WordPress plugin.
- The next step is to set up the plugin from its settings. These settings can and will vary for every plugin thus we are going to not be covering that in this article or post.
Method 2: How to Install WordPress Plugin by Uploading
Paid WordPress plugins aren’t listed within the WordPress plugin directory. These plugins can’t be installed using the first technique.
That’s why WordPress has the transfer or upload technique to install such plugins. We will show you the way to install WordPress plugins using the transfer or upload option within the admin area.
- First, you need to download the plugin from the source (The plugin has to be a zip file that is .zip extension).
- Next, go to the WordPress admin area and hover Plugins
- Click Add New Plugin.
- Click the Upload Plugin button at the right top corner of the page.
- Here you need to click on the select file button and choose the plugin file you downloaded earlier to your pc.
- After you have chosen the file, you need to click on the install now button.
- WordPress will now transfer or upload the plugin file from your pc and install it for you. You will see a successful message when the installation is finished.
- Once you`ve successfully installed your plugin, you need to click on the Activate Plugin button to start using the plugin.
- You would need to set up the settings to suit your needs. These settings can vary for every plugin so we’ll not be covering that in this article or post.
Method 3: How to Install WordPress Plugin Manually Using File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
In some situations or cases, your WordPress Hosting Provider may apply some have file restrictions that could probably limit your ability to install your required plugins from the admin area.
In this scenario, your best bet is to install the plugin manually using FTP.
The FTP manager technique is the least friendly for beginners.
- First, you will need to download the plugin’s source file (The plugin has to be a zip file that is .zip extension).
- Next, you need to extract the zip file on your computer.
- Extracting the plugin zip file can create a brand new folder with a similar name. This is the folder that you simply need to manually transfer or upload to your web site using an FTP client.
- You would access your host through the FTP manager. Just in case you don`t have your FTP username and password pre-configured then immediately contact your WordPress hosting provider and ask them for this setup or configuration.
- Open the FTP client on your computer and connect to your website using the login credentials provided by your web host. As soon as your FTP account is connected, you need to access the given path, that is; /wp-content/plugins/
- Next, transfer or upload the folder you extracted from the zip file to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your net server.
- Once you have successfully uploaded the files, go ahead and visit your WordPress Admin Area and click on the Plugins button in the admin menu.
- Click the Activate Button. Upon activating, you’ll need to set up the plugin settings. WordPress plugins go along with their own settings that differ from one plugin to a different thus we’ll not describe them here.
Final Thought on How to Install WordPress Plugins
We hope this helped you with the procedure on How to Install WordPress Plugins with ease. Follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter. Don`t forget to let us know how efficient this article is to you in the comment section below.